The purpose of the Mount Vernon Music Scholarship is to provide area students with supplemental funding for their music education through private lessons, music camps, or purchase of performance-grade instruments. Through the application process, students are given the opportunity to prepare a piece to performance level, and then showcase their talents to the supporting community.
Please note that eligibility is limited to a total of three applications.
Scholarship Application Helpful Hints:
- Rhythm Counts!
- Intonation Counts!
- Vocalists and instrumentalists should have their accompanist on the audition tape, if they plan to perform with an accompanist.
- Have your teacher review your audition piece prior to submission. It is a good idea to prepare this well in advance, so you can make corrections and prepare the best audition recording possible.
- The student’s performance must not be dominated by the accompanying instrument. We are not awarding the scholarship to the accompanist!
- The recording device does not have to be fancy. Winning scholarship entries have been made with a cell phone – the primary goal is clarity of the soloist.
- Do not use an electric keyboard.